You may have seen copper cookware in stores and noticed how pretty it was. You may have also heard about its conductive properties, which allows for quick and even heating. But do you know that copper can actually be dangerous when used in cookware?
Like some other heavy metals, copper is very important for human health in small quantities. But an excess amount of it in the body can lead to heavy metal poisoning. When copper cookware isn’t coated, it can release copper when cooking acidic foods. And when it’s coated, the coating often contains nickel, which is another toxic element.
Try this safe alternative instead: stainless steel cookware. This is a great option — it’s relatively lightweight and resistant to scratches, and can be seasoned to make it non-stick! It will also last you a long time. Just make sure you’re buying food-grade stainless steel — this type doesn’t contain any nickel or chromium.